Under 6 GP Care Scheme
Our practices participate in the Under 6 GP Care Scheme and we welcome children of existing patients to attend under the scheme.
Please note that the Under 6 GP Care Scheme applies up to 6 years of age (age 0 - 5).
What do you need to do?
Medical Card Holders: If your child or children have a Medical Card or GP Visit Card they will automatically be registered for this new scheme. When your child needs to see a GP please call our surgery as normal to make an appointment.
Non-Medical Card Holders: If your child or children do not have a Medical Card or GP Visit Card you must register them for this new scheme.
How to Register for Non-Medical Card Holders
- Go to www.gpvisitcard.ie and follow the steps on the HSE website. You will need the PPS number of the child or children you wish to register and also the PPS number of the child's Parent/Guardian
- Select your current GP and practice from the list.
- You will be notified by the HSE within 3 \ 4 days after you have been registered for the scheme
When you log in to register your child with us you will see a list of our doctors. You may not see the name of the doctor that you usually attend so please select one of the other principal doctors listed. We assure you that you can still make an appointment with and continue to be cared for by your usual GP.
While all children are entitled to free GP Care, it can only be availed of by those who have registered with the HSE and signed up with their GP and practice.
For good clinical practice please make an appointment before attending your doctor.
What is Covered by the Scheme?
Put simply, all the normal acute medical care needs of your Under 6 child are covered.
At the age of 2 and 5, your child is entitled to a Periodic Assessment. This simply involves the measurement of your child's weight and height by the Practice. These are quick and simple measurements that will only take a minute or two to do.
Asthma Assessments are provided for those between 2 and 6 diagnosed with Asthma. This entails a special review 3 months after a new diagnosis, and an Annual Review.
Influenza Vaccination is also highly recommended. This will take place in September and early October each year.
What is Not Covered by the Scheme?
While the Under 6 GP scheme covers most routine needs of your child, it doesn't cover a range of non-medical tasks that have often been carried out by our practice.
While these can still be facilitated, if needed, they will now incur a fee, even if you are otherwise covered by the Under 6 Free GP Care Scheme.
Here is a non-exhaustive list of items not covered, as suggested by the H.S.E
- Travel Vaccinations
- Paediatric Phlebotomy
- Passport / Identity reports / Letters
- Créche Reports
- Utilities Reports / Letters
- Insurance Medicals / Reports
- School Attendance Notes / Certificates
- Sports Medicals / Reports
- Letters in Support of Applications for Services Under the Social Welfare Acts (Housing, clothing etc).